Total confusion

I have written a couple of times about my two problems, namely that Debian will not recognize that I have a printer connected and that I can connect to my ISP but can't get on to the internet. Here is some more information.
The printer and internet connection work with Windows.
The printer works in Redhat, but I cannot get connected to the internet.
Neither printer nor internet connection works with Debian.
My ISP administrator finally came to my house with his computer and using Redhat connected to the internet over my line.
I have reset my BIOS to factory defaults.

I can't think of anything else to check. Does anybody have any ideas or do we assume that a gremlin resides in my computer and hates linux.