Re: question?

Wayne Sitton wrote:

> I don't want to start a flame war, BUT....
>
> I've been working with Uinx since I was 12, now I'm 28.  I've been a linux
> fan for about 3 years.  I started with red hat, but when a friend told
> debian was tthe one, I started using it.  and quickly learned the advantages
> of Debian.  I feel i'm adaquet as a user.  So , what is my next step?  I
> thought it would be learning some programing.  my problem is, there are so
> many languages out there.  I tried to start with C, but couldn't get through
> the book. I started a project that used php and have become pretty good at
> it.
> My question is what programming language is best to learn??????

It depends what you want to do, just as with real languages - If you
want to
to spain i would suggest spanish instead of russian :)

If you want to do something in the linux kernel you have to learn C, but
from
an educational viewpoint C is probably not the first language to learn.

If you want to write web-stuff, then java and/or php are more
appropriate.

If you want to write small shell hacks then awk can be usefull. Perl can
be
used for small hacks as wall and is more suitable when the hacks grow
bigger.
Some even continue using Perl for things that are not hacks ;)

Then there are C++, thousands of different types of assembler,
javascript,
piles of different types of shell languages, python, tcl and a host of
others.

It really is difficult to choose - the best you can do is have a look at
what
you want to do and what languages are typically used for that type of
job.

Hope this is helpfull, happy hacking,

\Gandalf