Re: I need info please

On Thursday 31 May 2001 03:36 pm, AlexHiggs@aol.com wrote:
>     Hi.  I am very excited about beign able to use a linux OS.  I looked on
> the debian site, but all the places where I could get information and
> downloads were either too technical to understand, or blended too well with
> my screen. I don't evcen know exactly what kind of computer I have.  All I
> know is that I have a Compaq Presario 4546 desktop.  Could you tell me in
> plain english how to download it, and if my windows programs are
> compatible? I need all the facts about the debian Linux.   If you would do
> that for me, that would be great.   Thanks.

I really think you should check out a few sites first to get a feel for some
of the basics:

	http://www.linuxnewbie.org
	http://www.linuxdoc.org
	http://www.linux.com

These have a lot of really good documentation and will help you get started
on figuring out how to go about things. As Kent said, you need to be able to
read the documentation (in fact, one of the first things the documentation
tells you is how to read the documentation via the 'man' command). These
sites will help you get started though.