Cannot find Mouse

Hello.

I installed debian Potato on a K6-266 box with 64m memory and am having minor technical difficulties with the mouse. I did apt-get install Gnome, used tasksel to install all the x stuff, and did xf86config but when I try to start the x-server, it crashes and tells me that it can't find the mouse. Running gpm I can see the mouse cursor, so I know it works, but as I said, I cannot get it to work with X. I ran XF86Setup, but cannot get the mouse to work no matter which protocol I try. When I first installed X it told me there was no /dev/mouse directory, so I created one. From then on things got worse. Where can I look for documentation? I would be happy to read about it and then try to ask more intelligent questions.

Another question: Apt-get can do myriad things. I see references to many different commands on this reflector, and would like to read about it's capabilities and maybe get a complete command list/description. Does anyone know of a nice document I can print?

Regards,

          Jim Darrough