Re: Email Problem

On Thu, 31 May 2001, Ian Perry wrote:

> Its so nice to be back in the land of the linux.

I know the feeling...

> I have been asked if it is possible to monitor specific outgoing email ?  By
> specific I mean either from a specific email return address, or a specific
> IP number.  We are using sendmail, SMTP, and POP3

Anything is possible, this is just SMOP ;)

> It is easy enough to monitor the incomming by .forward to another account.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.

Your best bet, sendmail wise, would be to use a Mail fILTER (milter),
which can be written in just about any language (C/Perl the easiest) -
and has a chance to peruse *ALL* mail comming into a server.

You could have the milter do different things based upon
sender/recipient, content type, etc.  This is where you'd add
disclaimers to email (but you'd have to be a sado masochist to it -
that way lie dragons)

--
Rick Nelson
"and i actually like debian 2.0 that much i completely revamped the