Problems with symbolic links under /dev

I'm running Patato with kernel 2.4.4 (self compiled) and XFree 4.0.2 and
the XFce desktop from unstable.

I'm having problems with my CD-Burning device.

I have compiled ide-scsi support directly into the kernel as well as
SCSI CD support, this eliminates the need for any ide-cd drivers to be
compiled into the kernel.

When I test my kernel dmesg reports the following about my CD-Burning
device located on hdc.

SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
  Vendor: IDE-CD    Model: R/RW 4x4x24       Rev: 1.2C
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12

This looks right to me, one thing that I have noticed thats different is
the vendor, my CD-R is an IOmega zip CD 4x4x24.

Anyway, after I compiled and tested the kernel I attempted to create a
symbolic link from scd0 to cdrom so that I could mount cd's and play
music through my cd-burner.

Basically, everything looks like:

root@NodeFilter:/dev# ls -l cdrom hdc scd0 sr0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            4 May 30 19:48 cdrom -> scd0
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,   0 Apr 15 00:54 hdc
brw-rw----    1 root     cdrom     11,   0 May 26 15:22 scd0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            4 May 26 15:22 sr0 -> scd0

Now when I use cdrecord to test my cd-burner configuration I get:

root@NodeFilter:/dev# cdrecord --scanbus
Cdrecord 1.8 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you
are root.

Can anybody point me towards insight?

Thanks

stef