Sound on X

Hi,
  I`m still trying to tune my machine up, but I`m still having some
problems. Now I got one that I could not fix. I have an Ensonic board
(es1370). The Gnu/Linux can see it on the boot (dmesg) and it don`t cause
any error.
  I could play any kind of sound in the X, but just as root. Then i added
every other user to the audio group. Now every user can play sounds, but it
always hangs the machine. Actually, it hangs just the net board. I can leave
X and kill the processes that does not stops by themselves, but I cannot use
the net any more. Not just the internet, but any service from my home net.
  I`m running a Potato 2.2r3, a mozilla0.8... with Flash and Realplay
plugins and the Gnome I got from Ximian site.

Rafael Sasaki