Noisy phone line drops connection

Hello,

I've got a noisy phone line at home causing dialup problems. I can now connect
successfully by extending the dialup time (chat -t 120...thanks John H.).

The problem now is that my connection drops sometimes after I've connected to my
ISP. Is there some parameter or option I can set that won't cause the connection
to drop when there is some line noise/static?

I plan on calling the phone company today to have this nosiy phone line looked
at, but in the meantime this would help.

Thanks,
Scott