Qs about Java 2 and potato, also q about Herald installation

Hi... tried to find this information in the archives first but it looks like
the search engine's being a tad misanthropic the last couple of days....
anyways... my questions...

I'm currently running the potato distribution... is Java 2 available for
that? How do I tell if I have Java 2 installed?

Herald is the java msn messenger client... when I go to sourceforge
and get the file it comes as a .jar file. I can't find _any_ documentation
on how to install it. (And I've spent about a day scouring the 'net)
What do I do with this file? :)

Suggestions to RTFM are happily accepted if they come with a
pointer to the relevant FM ;)

Alice M. Pinard
Casco Indemnity Company
alice@cascoind.com