Re: [OT?] LaTeX fonts in X?

Joerg Johannes <liste_joerg@gmx.de> writes:
JJ> Aren't the LaTeX fonts scalable post-script fonts?

Not generally; they use a meta-language called METAFONT, which
includes much more information than PostScript fonts use.  (For
example, 5-point Computer Modern scaled to 20 points looks much
different from 20-point CM.)  You can use PostScript fonts from within
TeX, but you can't necessarily use TeX fonts in the wider world.

JJ> I wonder if it is possible to use, say, the cm-family font just
JJ> like "normal" X-fonts, eg.  for the GIMP. The idea comes from my
JJ> need for images containing text.  Using these images in Latex
JJ> looks ugly if they use other fonts than the LaTeX-style.

There are a couple of options for this.  I'd suggest using PostScript
fonts in your document (e.g. \usepackage{times})[1]; then you can use
a matching or appropriate font in your figures.  (For example,
Helvetica looks much less odd against other PostScript fonts than
against Computer Modern.)  I'd also suggest using something other than
the GIMP for most figures, since GIMP only deals with pixelated
images.  Depending on what you're doing, xfig, tgif, and xcircuit are
all good choices that can produce encapsulated PostScript files as
output.

[1] In all honesty, I think the Computer Modern fonts are somewhat
    ugly, and kind of like Palatino.  This means that most of my LaTeX
    documents have \usepackage{palatino} somewhere in the preamble.

	-- Abra Mitchell