Re: Using tar saving Disk-space [was: apt-get offline]

Joerg Johannes <liste_joerg@gmx.de> writes:
JJ> Now that I can transfer my downloaded .debs in a .tar file, I wonder if
JJ> I could create this .tar file saving disk space, e.g. in the following
JJ> way
JJ>
JJ> <pseudo-code>
JJ> create a tar file (touch packages.tar?)
JJ> for *.deb in this directory
JJ>    1.) add it to the tar file
JJ>    2.) rm this .deb
JJ> end
JJ> </pseudo-code>
JJ>
JJ> Is this possible for (non-GNU)-tar?
JJ> How would this look for the csh?

In any shell, you'd probably want

        tar cvf deb-packages.tar *.deb
        rm *.deb

I'm curious why you want to do this, though; the amount of "lost" disk
space is negligible (less than 4K per file), and I believe tar
effectively adds this back in with per-block padding (remember, it was
written to write archives to tapes).  So the amount of disk space
you'd actually save with this is about zero, give-or-take a little;
it's already been noted that compressing the tar file is a lose, since
Debian packages are ar archives containing a small indicator file and
two gzipped tar files.

	-- Abra Mitchell