Re: Customizing the console key map?

%% Wayne Topa <wtopa@dmcom.net> writes:

  wt> Quoting Paul D. Smith(pausmith@nortelnetworks.com):

  >> Is there any "approved" way to create customizations for the console key
  >> maps?

  wt> Way back when John Fist was writing 'The Linux Gazette" he had a
  wt> nice column on how to make a cudtom key map file.  I believe it
  wt> was somewhere in the first 15 issues.  As that was over 5 years
  wt> ago I don't recall the exact issue.

Thanks; I found it
(http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue01to08/keys-n-consoles.html), and it
is a good article, but it talks about how to rebind console keys in
general.

I already know how to do this; what I want to know is whether there is
any way to do it in Debian, so that when I upgrade my Debian packages
console-tools (or kbd, I don't care much which one) my customizations
are kept automatically without my having to go back in and fix them up.

Look, for example, at how the X fonts are done: there is a directory
/etc/X11/fonts/<dir> for each font type, and in there you can add your
own files.  For example, you could add a file
/etc/X11/fonts/100dpi/my-fonts.alias and put your own font aliases in
it; the system will automatically include and install those aliases for
you when you run update-fonts-alias.  This way, you don't have to edit
a system config file to add your own aliases, which would entail
re-editing those config files (or merging them or whatever) every time
you updated to a new Debian X fonts package.

There are many examples of this separation of user customizations into
separate files in Debian, which makes system customization and upgrades
much simpler.  Look, even, at /etc/network/interfaces: same principle is
at work here.  All the "package details" are taken out of that file and
only user customizations are left.  This makes upgrading these network
packages much simpler for the user.

I was hoping there was some similar way to defined my own "console key
map customizations file" as a separate file, and have the console-tools
(or kbd) automatically install/append/whatever that file into its
default keymap when it's created.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools