Customizing the console key map?

Is there any "approved" way to create customizations for the console key
maps?

There appears to be some kind of include functionality, so it seems to
me that the package should be able to support customization files which
are separate from the "main" files, and construct a local customized map
which includes both the standard files and local additions.  See, for
example, how the Debian X packages handle font aliases, and any number
of other similar customizations.

What I want is simple, small, and common: I want to always, always,
always have my CAPS LOCK key rebound to CTRL.

I can do this by hand but every time I upgrade my system and a new
console-tools, etc. is installed it overwrites my custom keymap (and/or
I have to merge in changes by hand) and I have to do it all over.

It seems like this area is ripe for some kind of local modification
ability... any hints?

I'm using Debian woody (console-tools 0.2.3-23).

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools