Re: Re-installing debian

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 09:50:23AM +0800, Martin KC Lam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My first posting here.
> I have been messing with stuffs like Qt and KDE2.
> Things cannot compile ( with linker problems about -ljpeg, -lqutil and
> others)
>
> At this point I am stuck and I happened to install libc6-2.2.1-1 to
> "correct" things.
>
> And after that things just broke up.
> ldconfig is missing and I saw people suggest downgrading libc6
>
> but I am not sure how to do it.
>
> I have no clue now. So I am pondering a fresh restart of everything by
> reinstalling over the broken system.
> is there any way to do that without partitioning again?
>
> also, how to get that -ljpeg and -lqutil work when compiling Qt?
> my debian installation doesnt come with libjpeg and i compiled it from
> source. but still no success.
> same with the libqutil library..

I don't know about your specific library problems but this could have
been avoided by using apt-get.

You can install kde2 on potato by putting -
deb http://kde.rap.ucar.edu potato main crypto optional qt1apps
in your /etc/apt/sources.list and running -
# apt-get update
# apt-get install task-kde

Take a look at the man page for apt-get.  There is also tons of entries
in the list archives about kde.
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted