Re-installing debian

Hi,

My first posting here.
I have been messing with stuffs like Qt and KDE2.
Things cannot compile ( with linker problems about -ljpeg, -lqutil and
others)

At this point I am stuck and I happened to install libc6-2.2.1-1 to
"correct" things.

And after that things just broke up.
ldconfig is missing and I saw people suggest downgrading libc6

but I am not sure how to do it.

I have no clue now. So I am pondering a fresh restart of everything by
reinstalling over the broken system.
is there any way to do that without partitioning again?

also, how to get that -ljpeg and -lqutil work when compiling Qt?
my debian installation doesnt come with libjpeg and i compiled it from
source. but still no success.
same with the libqutil library..

Thanks!
Martin