woody/sid questions (was: Re: ximian 1.4 and woody)

okay...so you have me convinced.

i just got rid of all the ximian packages, deleted the ximian server from
sources-list and added sid instead...the oddyssey started there...

to install new packages i had to go through a lot of upgrading, which was
a bit tricky especially with the perl perl-modules and perl-base packages,
but somehow i sorted it all out and now here i am with a lot of software
out of sid, but there are a few things i haven't figured out yet and, it
beeing 3am (ouch) i'd be very grateful for advice =)

-my cool blackbox desktop won't load anymore...i suppose it is because the
command xsetbg got lost somewhere along the way of upgrading to
unstable...i've been browsing through dselect for some time now, to no
avail. does anyone know what package provides for the xsetbg command???
this is vital for me!

-gnumeric (along with evolution and redcarpet) depend on libgal6 which
appears to be missing ... now, i haven't made up my mind if i really want
to use those applications, but i'd like to know, just in case, what i can
do about this...

-this is a general one: i basically have testing in my sources list now,
and added unstable to it...i guess my system is basically still testing?
with a lot of packages out of unstable though. my question is: does this
make sense? or should i rather move to unstable all the way? i'm feeling
kind of awkward about this move though...so would it also make sense to
put unstable out of my sources list once i've installed all the packages i
wanted on my system and everything is working? i guess there is no real
answer to this question but since i am still new to debian, it would help
to get some advice!

thanks all!

-vester