raw files

I've been trying to install debian woody. I first tried the disk's but it
lacked the old "base" file and when trying to install it was looking for a
RELEASE file under a certain directory which of course I didnt have. I then
tried downloading the iso's. They are in some strange "raw" format. I tried
downloading raw2iso.exe but this didnt work (I got iso's but cd-creator
wouldnt accept it. What program creates these cd images with a .raw extension?

Thanks in advance