Re: Packaging WM themes - question

On Sun, May 27, 2001 at 11:02:33PM +0200, Viktor Rosenfeld wrote:
> Casper Gielen wrote:
> than a Gigahertz Athlon.  No way!  However, sacrifing functionality or
> user choice (I believe, the thread started about the choices a user has
> when installing themes) is not the way to go.

What I'm trying to tell is that with my system _NO_ functionality
whatsoever is lost. Everything that is possible now is possible in
exactly the same way. None of the basic debian tools (dpkg, dselect,
apt) have to be changed in any way.
Users can however decide to leave out parts of the system. This is
exactly like removing a line from /etc/apt/sources.list , just with a
finer granularity. This would give low-end users better performance also
under circumstances where no bigger machine is available.

> I started to argue, when people were suggesting to put all those
> thirty-something themes into one big package, which I find plain stupid.

Example:

/etc/apt/sources.list contains the following line when KDE is installed.

deb http://kde-themes.debian.org/ stable main contrib

When a user decides he doesn't want all those themes he would remove
this line, either manual or by some to-be-developed tool, and the
package system forgets about all those themes.

--
	Casper Gielen
casper@huiscomputer.homeip.net, capslock2000@mailandnews.com