ugh. more lilo probs

Hi,

This is a sort of followup to the lilo-related problems I was having some
days ago.

Adding the "linear" option to my /etc/lilo.conf didn't effect a fix: I
still got the cascade of "LI" down the screen when I tried to boot up. SO:
I uninstalled the lilo pkg, dpkg --purged it, and tried to reinstall.

... only to have dpkg complain that my /etc/fstab file, specifically the
entry for /dev/hda3, was problematic (I wish I had the output, for the
exact wording - something about the fact that /dev/hda3 didn't look like
a block device ... I think). For what it's worth, here is that file, which
I have never (in my memory) touched:

#
/dev/hda3	/		ext2	defaults,errors=remount-ro	0	1
/dev/hda2	none		swap	sw			0	0
proc		/proc		proc	defaults			0	0
/dev/fd0	/floppy		auto	defaults,user,noauto		0	0
/dev/cdrom	/cdrom		iso9660	defaults,ro,user,noauto		0	0
/dev/cdrom2	/cdrom2		iso9660 defaults,rw,user,noauto		0	0

Finally, I removed lilo again, dpkg --purge 'd it and installed grub.
Rebooted. I *still* get the endless cascade of "LI"s.

Where could these be coming from? I will study up on grub -- which
seems to require some manual configuring -- but I'm stumped as to why
this "LI" b.s. keeps happening on bootup. I'd really rather not have to
tank this system and start fresh. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Glenn

http://www.burningclown.com
"Everyone's Portal to Nothing At All"