Re: apt-utils

On Sun, May 27, 2001 at 03:29:43PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> I don't know what you're talking about: apt-utils does not use debconf.

My mistake; s/apt-utils/debconf/g.

Whenever I install a new system, debconf (or rather, the minimal version on
the install disks) throws up a curses-based menu asking what mode I want it
to run in, then what level of messages to display.  I consistently answer
text/medium.  It then preconfigures other packages, unpacks everything, and
starts the actual configuration phase.  At this time, I am again asked what
mode I want debconf to run in and what message level to display.

> If that outputs "true", then you have configured debconf to redisplay
> already seen questions.

# apt-get install debconf-utils; echo get debconf/showold | debconf-communicate
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Sorry, debconf-utils is already the newest version.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1  not upgraded.
0 false

> If not, I would dearly like the see a log of a package, any package,
> displaying the same question both in preconfiguration and at install
> time, with DEBCONF_DEBUG='.*' set and exported in the environment.

I just tried purging and reinstalling ssh on two machines.  The one tracking
testing worked properly, only asking if I wanted it SUID and whether to run
sshd once.  The one tracking stable asked 3(!) times.  That version of apt
doesn't seem to like nonnumeric values for DEBCONF_DEBUG, so I tried setting
it to 100 instead, which seems to have worked.

Here's the log:

--- Begin log ---
genma /home/esper# apt-get remove --purge ssh
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  ssh*
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 515kB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
(Reading database ... 50217 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing ssh ...
Stopping OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshd.
dpkg - warning: while removing ssh, directory `/etc/ssh' not empty so not removed.
Purging configuration files for ssh ...
Argument ".*" isn't numeric in int at /usr/lib/perl5/Debian/DebConf/Log.pm line 40.
genma /home/esper# export DEBCONF_DEBUG=100
genma /home/esper# apt-get install ssh
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  ssh
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/256kB of archives. After unpacking 515kB will be used.
debconf: trying frontend Text
Configuring packages ...
debconf: starting /var/lib/debconf//config.14859 configure
debconf: <-- VERSION 2.0
debconf: --> 0 2.0
debconf: <-- SET ssh/upgrade_to_openssh true
debconf: --> 0
debconf: <-- FSET ssh/upgrade_to_openssh isdefault false
debconf: --> 0 false
debconf: <-- SET ssh/use_old_init_script true
debconf: --> 0
debconf: <-- FSET ssh/use_old_init_script isdefault false
debconf: --> 0 false
debconf: <-- INPUT medium ssh/SUID_client
debconf: Trying to make element of type Text::Boolean
debconf: --> 0
debconf: <-- INPUT medium ssh/run_sshd
debconf: Trying to make element of type Text::Boolean
debconf: --> 0
grep: /etc/ssh/sshd_config: No such file or directory
debconf: <-- INPUT low ssh/forward_warning
debconf: Trying to make element of type Noninteractive::Note
debconf: --> 30
debconf: <-- GO
debconf: preparing to ask questions
Configuring Ssh
---------------

You have the option of installing the ssh client with the SUID bit set.

If you make ssh SUID, you will be able to use Rhosts/RhostsRSA authentication,
but will not be able to use socks via the LD_PRELOAD trick.  This is the
traditional approach.

If you do not make ssh SUID, you will be able to use socks, but
Rhosts/RhostsRSA authentication will stop working, which may stop you logging
in to remote systems.  It will also mean that the source port will be above
1024, which may confound firewall rules you've set up.

If in doubt, I suggest you install it without SUID.  If it causes problems you
can change your mind later by running:   dpkg-reconfigure ssh

Do you want /usr/bin/ssh to be installed SUID root? [n]

This package contains both the ssh client, and the sshd server.

Normally the sshd Secure Shell Server will be run to allow remote logins via
ssh.

If you are only interested in using the ssh client for outbound connections on
this machine, and don't want to log into it at all using ssh, then you can
disable sshd here.

Do you want to run the sshd server ? [y]

debconf: --> 0
Selecting previously deselected package ssh.
(Reading database ... 50183 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking ssh (from .../ssh_1%3a1.2.3-9.3_i386.deb) ...
debconf: frontend started
debconf: trying frontend Text
debconf: frontend running, package name is ssh
debconf: starting /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/config configure
[...]

debconf: starting /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/preinst install
debconf: <-- VERSION 2.0
debconf: --> 0 2.0
debconf: <-- GET ssh/upgrade_to_openssh
debconf: --> 0 true
debconf: <-- GET ssh/use_old_init_script
debconf: --> 0 true
Setting up ssh (1.2.3-9.3) ...
debconf: frontend started
debconf: trying frontend Text
debconf: frontend running, package name is ssh
debconf: starting /var/lib/dpkg/info/ssh.config configure
[...]

debconf: starting /var/lib/dpkg/info/ssh.postinst configure
debconf: <-- VERSION 2.0
debconf: --> 0 2.0
debconf: <-- GET ssh/SUID_client
debconf: --> 0 false
debconf: <-- GET ssh/run_sshd
debconf: --> 0 true
Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshd.
debconf: <-- STOP

genma /home/esper#
--- End log ---

--
That's not gibberish...  It's Linux. - Byers, The Lone Gunmen
Geek Code 3.12:  GCS d? s+: a C++ UL++++$ P++>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+