Re: apt-utils

On Sun, May 27, 2001 at 02:09:19PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> It is supposed to be optional. In fact, I cannot see how it could
> possibly be failing as you show. The || true is there so no matter what
> status code dpkg-preconfigure returns, apt always sees a return code of
> zero.

I thought that was pretty odd too.

> I have never seen this behavior except for when people have told debconf
> to re-show questions, or with a couple of broken packages that force
> debconf to redisplay seen questions. In the default configuration, it
> works, and has worked for a long time.

The two cases that spring to mind of apt-utils consistently reasking
questions are ssh and apt-utils itself.  (Although apt-utils is at least
decent enough to remember, when making the second pass through, that I'd
told it to use the text interface the first time around.)  But I don't
recall any cases where I've been asked a question in the preconfiguring
stage and it didn't get repeated later.  Doesn't mean it hasn't happened,
of course, just that I don't remember it.

--
That's not gibberish...  It's Linux. - Byers, The Lone Gunmen
Geek Code 3.12:  GCS d? s+: a C++ UL++++$ P++>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+