Re: "The following packages have been kept back"

On Sun, May 27, 2001 at 10:16:45AM -0500, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> On Sun, May 27, 2001 at 03:16:55PM +0300, matlads@techmuk.ac.ug wrote:
> > What is going on, and why can't apt-get upgrade the remaining 62 packages?
> > How do I get it to upgrade them?
>
> It doesn't want to automatically process them for some reason.  Explicitly
> telling it to upgrade each package with `apt-get install <package>` will
> cause apt to upgrade the package if it can or tell you why it can't.

Thanx Dave for writing back.

I run apt-get with the first package that was listed in the 'kept back' list
ie:

<typescript>

Script started on Sun May 27 18:59:47 2001
fot2:~# apt-get install aalib1
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

  aalib1: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.2-2) but 2.1.3-18 is to be installed
                                          ^^^^^^^^
          Depends: xlibs (>= 4.0.1-11) but it is not installable
E: Sorry, broken packages
fot2:~# exit

Script done on Sun May 27 18:59:50 2001

</typescript>

Actually running apt-get install on any of the 'kept back' packages gets me
an error message with 'Depends: libc6' in it. (or a depends on a package(s)
that depends on libc6).

So I figure that I need to somehow upgrade my libc6 to > 2.2.2-2. But
apt-get says that '2.1.3-18 is to be installed' !?

How do I get it to upgrade my libc6?

Martin.
--
$file /usr/bin/file
/usr/bin/file: unknown file type (edit /etc/magic, or read magic(5))