root via ssh / why su - ?

Hello!

A silly theoretical question: in a ssh thread above, one got the answer *not*
to enable root user access to a station, it would be better to use a limited
user account and then gain access via su or that.
What is the difference between that. Don't I have full admin rights with su?
Or if I have, what is the difference? Is it cos a direct root login allows to
exploit the sys due to some scripts that get autom. exec'd?
I just want to know....cos thus I know why I do things that way :-)

Thanx in advance & greetz,

Timo Boewing