Long pause on bootup with 2.4.4 and 2.4.5 kernels

A while ago I compiled the 2.4.4 kernel but went back to 2.4.3 when I
found I was getting a long pause during boot-up,just after this:
'Configuring network interfaces: eth0: Setting 100mbs full-duplex based on
auto negotiated partner ability 41e1'. Today I compiled 2.4.5 and get the
same thing.

The following message after the pause is about a ping - don't get this
with earlier kernels. Maybe this is the problem.

Once booted, my cable modem works fine.

I am running pmfirewall - I wonder if I need to change any settings to
allow for this new ping? BTW, I have ensured I compiled in ipchains
compatibility for 2.4.x kernels.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers.

--