Authenticating for Web Access

Hello,

I've ~ 200 users and the majority have their own workstations at the office.

I would like to regulate their web access though not their access to their
workstations depending on the current status of their payup email accounts.
If the account is up to date then the workstation is given internet access
for a specified time period and then the access is withdrawn. Also ensuring
that each user has at most say 5 hours internet access per day (though
available in 30min intervals).

I'd like ideas on how best to go about something like this.

My initial idea was: Use ipchains on the router to block all the machines
access on an individual basis. Then provide a web interface with which the
user will identify themselves, be authenticated, and, if successfull, the
chain(s) is removed, but only for a limited time only.

Has any of you guys tried something like this? Any help would be
appreciated.

Martin.
--
$file /usr/bin/file
/usr/bin/file: unknown file type (edit /etc/magic, or read magic(5))