Help with CDROM (ide-scsi)

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here.

I just installed an HP 9150i burner, and following the HOWTO plus some
information I picked up off this list (thanks to Osamu Aoki & Casey
Webster, plus several others), got it to work just fine.

I have the burner as /hdc and another cdrom as /hdd.  Both now show as
scsi devices (cdrecord -scanbus), but I cannot get anything to play on
the /hdd drive.

I'm using xcdroast, and set it up originally to write to /hdc and read
from /hdd.   It does both admirably.  I have since set it to read and
write from /hdc only.

When I start Gnome CDplayer, it starts scanning and then goes nowhere.
Attempts to play make it shut down.  I cannot mount either /dev/hdd or
/dev/scd1 (which I assume should be the scsi equivalent, since the scsi
device number is 0,1,0).

What am I doing wrong, please (or not doing)?

TIA

Cam

--
Cam Ellison Ph.D. R.Psych.