Re: Network Printing with Progeny/Debian

>     I am the proud owner of a nice new Progeny system but, since I
> cannot seem to locate anything on their website concerning an email
> reflector, I thought I would ask here. Please, as a favor, please
> redirect flames to dev=NULL.

I believe you mean "/dev/null".   ;-)

>When I try to access
> the [server], it asks me for a password, and I cannot get past that.
> I have made sure that the Win98 box that I am trying to give access has
> an account on the Debian box, but that does not help.
>
>    Any clues? I think it may be a samba issue but am not sure.

I had to do the same thing a while back.
First of all, you have to decide if you want to have all your windows
clients use the same account on the Samba server, or if they'll each have an
individual account.
(In my setup, they all used the same "lan" account, which was much easier,
and not really any less secure since only computers on the LAN could access
it.)

I'll show you how to have all the windows clients access the samba shares
with the same account/password.

3 steps.

1- create a dummy account on the Samba server, with access to whatever
you're sharing.  (e.g., if you're trying to share a folder, make sure your
user has the required read/write permissions on it! Ditto for printers.)

2- Run "smbpasswd USERNAME". so if your dummy username is "lan", than you
would run "smbpasswd lan", and enter the desired password.

3- edit '/etc/samba/smb.conf'. (or wherever smb.conf is located).
set (in global variables):
"security = share"
"encrypt passwords = yes"

and when you define your share, set "user = DUMMYACCOUNT"
For example:

[my_share]
   path = /mysharedfiles
   create mode = 0700
   force create mode = 0700
   user = lan
   read only = no

The above would share the folder '/mysharedfiles' to ANYONE who could supply
the password for user "lan".
All files created/modified would have perms of 700.
This is _obviously_ not the most secure technique, but for most people who
are just sharing a printer over their local network, it works just fine.

(If you were going for user-level security, you would have to create an
individual account for each username of the client computers.)

Hope this helps,
Sebastian