Re: new debian user

> To: debian-www@lists.debian.org
> Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 11:45:44 +0100
> From: bill <bill@binglis.freeserve.co.uk>
> Subject: new debian user
>
> Can anyone help
>
> Been running linux mandrake and decided to try debian.
> When using mandrake I setserial to /dev/ttyS2 com3 to irq 10 and connection
> to internet was successful.
> On setting up debian i changed the serial of /dev/ttyS2 to irq 10 and the
> modemn was found
> Can wvdial as root but not as user tried adduser xxxx to dialout but still
> having problems.
> I have been going round in circles for a few days. Any ideals on how to
> connect up.

Did you setuit root the command you use to dial? I haven't use for a while
a modem, but when I did I had to do that.

> Another thing is the sound.
> When running mandrake i used sndconfig to set up my sound.
> In debian my card is found es1869 but I cant get it to work.
> In windows my sound card is found on irq 5 and I used this in mandrake to
> work. Anyone know how to get my sound working.
> Is there an equivilent sndconfig for debian.

sndconfig is available for Debian (at list for testing).
I configured my sound card in the kernel. Do you know to make
a new kernel?

> What I see of debian so far is great but trying to set up the system to my
> requirements is proving more difficult that I thought.

Red Hat and the similar ones are trying to hard to mimic windoze,
where people don't need to know (or think) what they have or what
they want. (My oppinion!)

> Thanks in advance
>
> bill

Is OK. Just make sure you send mail to debian-users@lists.debian.org
and not to sebian-www, which is dealing with web pages. Have a look at
"http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/subscribe";.

Good luck,
	Ionel