Printer Question

Hi all,

Trying to get my printer working but having some problems with it. I
used to have an HP Laserjet 6L which I had working on an earlier
Debian Potato installation. Now I have a new installation and a new
printer. My printer is an Epson Stylus Color 880. Still running
Potato.

Anyway, I have lprng, gs-aladdin, and magicfilter installed as I did
on my previous installation. The device that the printer is showing up
as has seemed to have moved on me. It's now on /dev/lp0 (was lp1).
After configuring my printcap with magicfilgerconfig, I get this when
I print a file:

    Printer: lp@mordor  'esc880'
    Queue: no printable jobs in queue
    Filter_status: lp is ready and printing

Anyone know what this message means besides the obvious? I am also
unable to send a filer directly to the printer with cat. I would do a
backflip if I could just get garbage to issue from my printer, but it
doesn't seem to want to cooperate.

Any ideas? I've seen several posts on printer issues over the last
week or two. However, they, nor what I could glean from the archives
seemed to improve my predicament.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
--
Mark Wagnon <markwagnon@yahoo.com>