Re: 2.2 to 2.4

>> After compiling the new kernel, I get the 'uncompresing
>> kernel...OK' text and then nothing happens, the system
>> just hangs and i have to reboot it. any ideas!?
>>
>> My system is a P200 MMX with 128MB RAM.  Debian 2.2
>> fully upgraded with a
>
> Do you still have the config file that you used for your 2.2
> kernel? If so put it in the 2.4 source tree named .config
and
> run make oldconfig. That will make sure that you have all
> of the same config settings that you had before and either
> confirm that is is a configuration problem or prove that it
> is not.

Is this recommended between *major* kernel revisions, i.e. the
change from 2.2.x to 2.4.x ?? I personally had problems when
doing this. It would compile okay, but on reboot, it would
hang around the point that it tried to mount the filesystem.

Starting with a "clean" .config file and then modifying it
with my settings (basically the same changes I had with my
2.2.x kernel) seemed to fix this problem.

Hall