Re: Debian2.2 and XFree86 version 4

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 10:09:35PM +0200, Jan Krupa wrote:

> Does XFree86 version 4.x work well under debian2.2 (potato)?
> Do you advise to install it instead version 3.x?
> Does there exist debian package which installs XFree86 4.x
> under debian2.2 ?

There are packages for XFree86 4.0.3 under potato. Just add the
following lines to your sources.list:

# Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 - XFree86 Version 4.0.3
deb http://people.debian.org/~cpbotha/ xf403_potato/all/
deb http://people.debian.org/~cpbotha/ xf403_potato/i386/

Just run apt-get update / apt-get dist-upgrade to upgrade your
installation of version 3.x. You can also use dselect with apt as
access method to install it, if you didn't have an existing XFree86
installation. You have to configure XFree86 Version 4.0.3 with
xf86config (in text mode) because there is no graphical setup program
like in version 3.x.

For me there were no problems with the upgrade (I used apt-get to
upgrade an existing installation). But I think at the moment not every
graphic card that is supported in version 3.x is already supported in
version 4.0.3. So better check if your card is supported on
http://www.xfree86.org before making the upgrade.

Bye
Andreas