/etc/rc* and locate

I installed qmail and after setup problems, removed it via dselect
in favour of a simpler program more suited to my needs.

The removal left a large number of files which I have since
tried to delete by hand. All went without problem except:-

/etc/rc0.d/K20qmail
/etc/rc1.d/K20qmail
/etc/rc2.d/S20qmail
/etc/rc3.d/S20qmail
/etc/rc4.d/S20qmail
/etc/rc5.d/S20qmail
/etc/rc6.d/K20qmail

which locate (after updatedb) shows as being present when in actual
fact they are not there. I did not remove them by hand, it was only
when trying to do so that I found this situation.

Does anyone have any explanation of why this is so?

Thanks,            John.