FYI: KDE printing through CUPS

Hay,

A little while ago I asked how you go about getting KDE to print through
CUPS.
I got no replies, so I guessed that no one knew. Well I've now discovered how.
KDE (like other things such as samba) reads the printer configurations out of
/etc/printcap If you initially had lpr or lprng or similar installed, then you
will almost certainly have an 'lp' entry in this file, and this will show up
whenever you go to print from any KDE app.
CUPS creates a seperate file, /etc/printcap.cups If you copy (or even better,
symlink) /etc/printcap.cups to /etc/printcap (well, the other way round if
you're symlinking) and then restart your KDE apps, then you will find that they
now know about the correct printers and will print fine to em.

Hope this is useful,

Matthew

--

Matthew Sackman