Re: root owner (or group) of lot of files in ~erik?

on Tue, May 22, 2001 at 11:54:42PM -0700, Erik Steffl (steffl@bigfoot.com) wrote:
>   I have just found out that ~erik/.Xauthority is owned by root and I
> cannot access my X server (I couldn't run any X applications).

You every symlink or hardlink this to your root .Xauthority file, by any
chance?

>   I have no idea how that happened, I have started additional X server
> as root (startx -- :1), just like many times before, doing some testing
> of mouse settings.
>
>   and now I checked more and I see that huge number of files in my home
> directory (10813out of 122342 (that includes ., .. and directories) have
> group set to root. Some files have group set to users. Most of them have
> group set to erik.

How'd you start as root?  Did you 'su' or 'su -'?

> jojda:~>groups
> erik disk audio dip www-data video
> jojda:~>grep erik /etc/passwd
> erik:x:1000:1000:Erik Steffl,,,:/home/erik:/usr/bin/tcsh
>
>   examples of files:
>
> -rw-r--r--    1 erik     users     1910784 May  1 23:08
> Chaos_Uk_-_Skate_Song.3.
> mp3

> -rw-r--r--    1 erik     root          143 Nov  3  2000 Miro Zbirka -
> Dr.Jackyl&
> Mr.Hyde.mp3
> -rw-r--r--    1 erik     users     4390912 Nov  3  2000
> Miro_Zbirka_-_C'est_La_V
> ie.mp3
>
>   note the same date on the last two of them - it was probably same
> gnapster session...

Running gnapster as root?  You play Russian roulette when you're bored
as well?

>   most (all?) of the fiels with groups = users was downloaded by
> napster, but I don't see any pattern to the files where group is set to
> root.

    $ find ~ -user root -print0 | xargs -0 ls -ld

...and explore for patterns.

>   and the most puzzling is the .Xauthority - how could the permission be
> changed?

I have my suspicions.

   Disclaimer:          http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/