Problems installing postfix

Does the default installation of postfix work out of the box?  I tried apt-get install postfix and then apt-get install mutt. I run mutt and it says:

/var/spool/mail/user: No such file or directory (errno = 2)

Is this normal? I tried installing exim and sendmail instead, but the same thing results. Do I have to do something special to get the spool files created? Do I have to do something special to get the postfix (or whatever) to write to the spool files?

Thanks!

Jen