Unkillable process

'm running a 2.4.3 kernel with 2.2.1 glibc. Every now and then
unkillable
processes popup on my system (usually something that didnt shut down
properly). It was xemacs once (and a ton of different processes that it
runs), which prevented me running xemacs again as that user. Now it's
mozilla .9. I have 2 processes sitting there doing nothing but preventing
me starting netscape as a user. ps aux shows:
scorpio   7314  0.0  3.8 28888 4876 tty1     D    May10   0:00
/usr/local/mozilla/mozilla-bin

and I cant kill it with any signal. Short of restarting machine I dont
have any way to get rid of them. Is there a better solution or an
explanation why this happens?
TIA,
  Andrei

First there was Explorer...