Re: Help, web browse problem.

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 11:23:40PM +0100, mr matsui wrote:
> I've got a problem where I cannot browse the web. I use a number of ISPs and
> this problem occurs only for 1 of the ISP ( my main account). Using this
> problem ISP I can still ping and resolve domain names, ftp and even telnet
> to port 80 on internet hosts. When I use lynx to browse a web sits the
> domain name is resolved and the text "HTTP request sent; waiting for
> response" displays but no response arrives. Netscape and Opera have similar
> problems.
>
> I must have done something stupid in the kernel compilation/iptables as it
> is one of the few things I have changed recently (re-compiled 2.4.2). But I
> find it hard to believe it is the setup as the other ISP work fine.
>
> I am really struggling with this, any ideas anybody. What should I look out
> for in syslog/ps ax.... ? help ???
>
> Debian 2.2r3, dell Inspiron 3500, no proxy setup/web cache ( that I am aware
> of !)

  $ sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_ecn
  net/ipv4/tcp_ecn = 0

If you get

  net/ipv4/tcp_ecn = 1

that may be your problem.

  $ sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_ecn=0

will disable tcp_ecn.

ECN ::= Explicit Congestion Notification.  Some routers/firewalls
don't know what to do with a TCP packet with the ECN bit set so they
drop it.

Wild ass guess :)  Let us know how it turns out ...

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.