Help, web browse problem.

I've got a problem where I cannot browse the web. I use a number of ISPs and
this problem occurs only for 1 of the ISP ( my main account). Using this
problem ISP I can still ping and resolve domain names, ftp and even telnet
to port 80 on internet hosts. When I use lynx to browse a web sits the
domain name is resolved and the text "HTTP request sent; waiting for
response" displays but no response arrives. Netscape and Opera have similar
problems.

I must have done something stupid in the kernel compilation/iptables as it
is one of the few things I have changed recently (re-compiled 2.4.2). But I
find it hard to believe it is the setup as the other ISP work fine.

I am really struggling with this, any ideas anybody. What should I look out
for in syslog/ps ax.... ? help ???

Debian 2.2r3, dell Inspiron 3500, no proxy setup/web cache ( that I am aware
of !)

Derm