Re: Installing lilo on second hard disk

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 06:34:56PM -0400, Jens Gecius wrote:
> mdevin@ozemail.com.au writes:
>
> > Basically I am trying to copy everything over to my second hard disk and
> > then set up to make this the boot device.  I know how to change the boot
> > device in my bios.
> >
> > The problem seems to be getting lilo on the second hardisk.  What I
> > tried was this:
> > Edited the /hd2/etc/lilo.conf and changed the following:
> > boot=/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part1
> > root=/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part5
> > install=/hd2/boot/boot.b
> > map=/hd2/boot/map
>
> One thing is missing:
> disk=/dev/hdb bios=0x80       # Tell LILO to treat the second
>                                # disk as if it were the first
>                                # disk (BIOS ID 0x80).
> and one other should be different:
>
> root=/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part5
>
> (note the bus0 - because that's where your system wants to get / from
> when booted from that (now bus1) drive!

Yes, but I want to leave my hard disk in the bus1 location and still
boot from it.  My bios can do this.

You were correct above with disk=/dev/hdb bios=0x80.

There was one additional thing which I couldn't figure out for ages.  I
also needed this
linear  (I did have lba32 instead).  When I put lba32 it doesn't work.
When I put linear it does work.  Strange, because on the first HD
/etc/lilo.conf I have it the other way around.  Very Confusing!

So here is what I have in /etc/lilo.conf for the second HD - which works!
linear
disk=/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/disc
bios=0x80
boot=/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/disc
root=/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part5
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
delay=20
vga=normal
default=Linux
image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only

image=/vmlinuz.old
        label=LinuxOLD
        read-only
        optional

I still don't understand a few things though.  Why do I need linear?
Why do I need bios=0x80 when it is really 0x82 (I think)?

Thanks again for helping me out.  It finally works :-)
Mark.