Re: Strange reboot

on Mon, May 21, 2001 at 06:48:35PM -0500, Cheng H. Lee (chlee@softhome.net) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering whether any one could explain why my machine would
> spontaneously reboot itself. It's a Debian unstable box running kernel
> 2.4.4.
>
> Personally I suspect some sort of issue with the kernel itself. I doubt
> that the machine has been broken into since absolutely nothing has shown
> up in my logs, no port scans, no TCP/IP connections, nothing in my
> Apache and proftpd logs.

Lots of possible reasons.  Usual suspects are flakey hardware or
misbehaving modules.  System logs may be helpful.

My own system lockups/reboots under GNU/Linux have been:

  - Bad video driver.
  - sambafs bug in 2.2.14.
  - SpeedStep (aka Geyserville).

Specific characteristics of what kernel you're using, hardware
characteristics.  Check memory and disks.  Try a few kernel compiles
(stresses CPU).

Try running the system in various configurations with modules disabled
and/or with hardware (cards) removed.

How often is the system rebooting?