Re: More 2 problems

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 02:29:54PM -0700, Sidney Brooks wrote:
| If anybody can tell me what to do, I now have more information on my problems.
|
| Internet problem:
|        This is the text after the first routine stuff:
|        ATDP 8475110
|        Connect 48000/ARQ
|        Connect detected. Waiting for prompt.
|        [1c]@[1c][1c]`[1c]`[1c][G]`
|         Don't know what to do. Starting pppd and hoping for the best.
|         Starting ppp (followed by date and time)
|        PPP daemon has died (exit code = 4)
|
|       It seems to be expecting something from my ISP that it does not get.
| My ISP administrator was of no help when I brought up the matter.

wvdial tries to guess what it should do, rather than expecting you to
tell it.  chat is the exact opposite -- it doesn't guess anything, but
does excatly what you tell it.

For my ISP my chat script looks something like (from memory -- I'm not
at that box right now) :

"" ATZ
OK ATDT4567777
"ogin---ogin---ogin" "dsh8290"
"word---word---word" "mypassword"
"RIT Local>"    "ppp"
"~" ""

A chat script is a series of expect-send paris.  In the first line
expect nothing, send ATZ.  In the second expect OK send ATDT4567777.
In the third there is some "magic" error handling chat can do.  It
should expect (the end of) the login prompt.  If it doesn't find it,
wait a little and check again.  When it finds the login prompt, send
my username (dsh8290).  Same thing for the password.  When it sees
that prompt at the end (I have successfully logged in), run 'ppp' on
the server.  It may take a little while for ppp to start.  If you use
minicom and get this far, you will then see a tilde followed by binary
"garbage".  The ~ is the start of the ppp data, so when it sees the ~,
send nothing and the chat script terminates.  Then pppd takes over the
modem and handles the remainder of the PPP connection.

What I see from your wvdial output is that the modem dialed properly
and got a response from the ISP's modem.  Then wvdial started looking
for something that looks like a login prompt.  Instead it found some
stuff that it didn't understand (nor do I -- maybe the connection
isn't 8bit clean, or maybe your ISP has a really weird prompt).  As a
result wvdial tried to start pppd in hopes that it would work.  It
failed because you were never logged in.

Again, I recommend that you install minicom, or some similar tool, so
you can interactively see what your ISP does when you dial in.  Once
you know what prompts your ISP sends, then you can make a simple chat
script that will work.  Without a more configurable tool, I doubt
you'll get very far.  (I'm sure wvdial is a great program -- when it
works.  It only understands the common situations it's authors have
experience with and can't be configured to deal with others.)

If it would help you out at all I can send you my chat script after I
get back to my Debian box.

-D