Re: what are these? discard-daytime-time-nntp

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 10:29:35PM +0200, Daniel de los Reyes wrote:
> This is the output I get from nmap about things I am not sure what to do
> about:
>
> 9       open        tcp        discard

discard is /dev/null for networks.  Generally not needed expecially if
you are worried about attcks.

> 13      open        tcp        daytime

Prints the current date in a string form (e.g."Mon May 21 16:28:43
2001") ... generally not needed.

> 37      open        tcp        time

Outputs the current time as seconds sine the epoch in machine readable
form.  Can be useful if network clients expect the service for crude
time synchronisation (some windows clients can use this service).
Otherwise not generally needed.

> 113     open        tcp        auth

The infamous "IDENT" protocol.  Totally worthless IMO but most IRC
servers require this port to be open and returning information.
Apparently some FTP servers require this service as well.

> 119     open        tcp        nntp

nntp is Network News Transport Service.  Apparently you are running a
news server? (inn or cnews).  Otherwise not needed.

> Can someone explain me what these services are and if I can safely
> turn them off?

HTH,

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.