Re: Getting Telnet to work

Title: Re: Getting Telnet to work
Hi,

 I have small LAN: 3 win2k workstations and 1 Debian linux gateway/firewall. I want to telnet into my gateway/firewall from one of my win2k stations. Tired of always going downstairs to change the firewall rules or whatnot J  So how do I set this up? I set up the proper firewall rules. I added the line ALL:HOMER to my hosts.allow file (HOMER is the win2k host that needs access). My hosts.deny file contains ALL:ALL. And I haven't modified my inetd.conf file.

 THX

Can you telnet from any of your machines?  If not, you may _need_ to modify your inetd.conf file if it doesn't have an entry for telnet.  What exactly is the error message?  And, are the w2k workstations on the INSIDE (private) side of the firewall?

Wait a minute.  I'm more versed in Cisco ACL's, not IPMASQ and linux, but doesn't hosts.deny ALL:ALL explicitly _disallow_ ANY connections?  Or does hosts.allow override that?  Which has precedence?

Then again, advice from me is worth every cent you paid for it.  :-)

John
"All warfare is based on deception."
       --Sun Tzu

johnwilley@yahoo.com