Re: How to use debian lists

mikepolniak <mikpolniak@adelphia.net> wrote:
>You might want to read the debian list in a news group like
>muc.lists.debian.user. I switched from  reading debian-user as a mailing
>list to a newsgroup .
>
>Reading from a news group is only a few hours behind  the mailing list, but
>you can still reply directly to the list and a good newsreader has all the
>threading and filters you need plus you wont see messages you've already
>marked as read. Works for me.

I must say I much prefer reading mailing lists as newsgroups, although I
roll my own news gateway rather than using linux.* or whatever. Replies
can be fiddly, but I've set up my newsreader to handle most of it and
I've kind of got used to it.

The main benefit of a newsgroup is that the news server will
automatically expire messages that I obviously haven't got round to
reading within a couple of weeks or so. I'd go mad otherwise. :)