usb printer problem

I successfully built a 2.2.19 kernel with usb support. cat /proc/bus/usb/drivers shows drivers loaded, cat /proc/bus/usb/devices shows only pci. I have

none    /proc/bus/usb    usbdevfs    defaults    0    0

in fstab.  After booting up dmesg reports

  parport_probe: failed
  parport0: no IEEE-1284 device present

and then later in the listing

  lp0: using parport0 (polling)

Therefore when I try to print lpq reports lp0: no such device.

I could rebuild the kernel with no parport support (only a Visioneer One Touch 7600 scanner is attached to the parallel port and I don't believe there is any way to use this with linux) but sometime I might have something usable on the parallel port and still want to use the usb printer.

Is there something I have omitted which prevents lp0 from being assigned to the usb port?