Re: modprobe / modutils problems...

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 12:34:24AM +0200, vester wrote:
[...]
> > #   depmod -av
> > (Have you ever done? On Debian it should be automatic but you may have a
> > broken system)
>
> output is a long list with all my modules in the respective
> /lib/modules/2.4.4/... directories.
>
> apart from that there are ALSO a lot of other modules that are, it seems,
> searched for under /lib/modules/... (no kernel version number) and it always
> says "failed" at the end of those lines.
>
> > # modprobe -c
>
> this gives me an even longer list...at first it lists some paths:
> path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/2.4.4
> and then the paths to the various modules, HOWEVER they are all listed as
> /lib/modules/_subdirectories_here ... that is to say, without the version
> number again, or in other words, not where they actually are located...

It found all your modules then OK. It tests not only /lib/modules/2.4.4 tree
but also /lib/modules/2.4/ and /lib/modules/ for more generic (aka not
version depended modules) then also OK.

> after that there follow many aliases and options...
>
> > # insmod -vn one_of_your_modules
>
> again, this only works i use the whole path...so:
>
> # insmod -vn /lib/modules/2.4.4/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.o
> Using: /lib/modules/2.4.4/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.o
> Symbol Version Prefix ''
>
> # insmod -vn apm.o gives me: Can't locate module -- and that is precisely
> what modprobe presents me with.

Double error :)
1) When you aren't in proper directory (in this case
   /lib/modules/2.4.4/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/) syntax:

              insmod -vn apm.o

   is buggy. It should be written:

              insmod -vn apm

2) But I get different error messages with my tests:

I don't have apm.o:

   $ insmod -nv apm.o
   Using apm.o
   insmod: apm.o: No such file or directory

   $ insmod -n apm
   insmod: apm: no module by that name found

I have cpuid.o:

   $ cd /

   $ insmod -nv cpuid.o
   Using cpuid.o
   insmod: cpuid.o: No such file or directory

   $ insmod -n cpuid
   Using /lib/modules/2.4.4/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/cpuid.o

   $ cd /lib/modules/2.4.4/kernel/arch/i386/kernel

   $ insmod -nv cpuid.o
   Using cpuid.o

   $ insmod -nv cpuid
   [...]
   Using /lib/modules/2.4.4/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/cpuid.o
   Symbol version prefix ''

> i suppose it is becaue of those wrong paths? but how can i put them right?
> any ideas?

I out of ideas. I may suggest:
1) Are you shure that modules are from your current kernel? When you
compiled/installed 2.4.4 more then once Debian installer always suggests
renaming /lib/modules/2.4.4 to /lib/modules/2.4.4.old before install new
kernel.
2) Recompile kernel with new modutils. I use versioned modules (and Debian
as I know). As I remember du you follow traditional kernel-compilation
procedure. Try Debian way: make-kpkg. It's nice and gives less possibilties
to make some common mistakes.
3) Purge (make backup before) and reinstall modutils with all config files.
4) Check your filesystem(s).
5) Has your configuration something specific - check Debian bug tracking
system maybe answer is there?

Mirek