Re: HELP!!! Installing Debian

Jan Enning wrote (on 20 May 2001, at 21:17):

> > I am new to Debian Linux. After downloading files from BASE-i386 and
> > DISK-i386 directory, i've tried to install debian.  I typed INSTALL  and
> > the install.bat file run. After loading some modules, I am stuck to the
> > the following message:
> >
> > Kernel Panic : VFS : Unable to mount root on FS on 01:00
> >
> > What have I missed?  Please help!

Similar experience yesterday trying to repair the installation
on my Toshiba. (I needed to neutralize /etc/init.d/pcmcia in
order to boot after stupidly apt-get-upgrading to a wrong
package.) Anyway, I recently upgraded my iso images from 2.2 r0
to r3, and now the gear in the "install" directory on CD 1 only
got me as far as the same message you noted. Fortunately I still
had the 2.2 r0 CDs with me, and they worked!

Has something been broken? Is anyone interested in more detail?

T.

-- Tony Crawford
-- tc@crawfords.de
-- +49-3341-30 99 99