Re: small school: replacements for MS Word and Excel

* Joel Mayes <joel_mayes@dingoblue.net.au>, 2001-05-21 09:12 +0200:
> Has any one here used LyX, I got on to it a couple of months ago and
> It is the best word procesor I have every used, and not to difficult
> to learn, as it's a "what you see is what is mean" procesor it
> would let the students concentrate on content rather than worrying
> about layout.

I agree. LyX is very nice, esp. in combination with TkBibTeX, for
scientific texts -- in fact for all kinds of "standard" forms, as it's
more or less a GUI to LaTeX. I cannot recommend WP8. It crashes often,
but worse of all, WP8 has problems to write RTF. LyX plus Abiword plus
StarOffice (v4sp3 if your resources are limited; this older version is
fast but OTOH not really stable) is what I'd recommend.

A. B.                                       [andre.berger@topmail.de]