en_GB locale problem

Greetings,

I'm usually more keen to solve a problem myself before asking for help,
but I feel I am a little out of my depth.  I've not been using Linux
very long, being used to using FreeBSD.

After realising that my system was using a US locale, I changed it to
use en_GB by using the following in /etc/inputrc:

LC_ALL=en_GB
LANG=en_GB
LANGUAGE=en_GB

I then uncommented the following line in /etc/locale.gen:

en_GB ISO-8859-1

And commented out:

#en_US ISO-8859-1

Then ran /usr/sbin/locale-gen and rebooted (no idea if that was
nescessary, but I figured it couldnt hurt).

The only problem is that now I cannot type a capital L on any console,
whether it be a real console or a terminal.  I cant paste one either,
although the system is able to display one.  Every other key works just
fine, just not capital L.

Very strange, very confused.  Can anyone come to my rescue?

Thanks in advance

Cliff Rowley

FYI:

dozprompt@guru:~$ uname -a
Linux guru 2.4.4 #1 Tue May 15 01:07:36 BST 2001 i686 unknown

dozprompt@guru:~$ cat /etc/issue
Debian GNU/\s testing/unstable \n \l