Re: My favorite German post

Hi,

On Sat, 19 May 2001, Erik Steffl wrote:

>   actually I think it's a combined english german message, it starts
> with english then drifts into german, here's the same message divided
> into english and german parts (using !):
>
>   Re: Outlook, die! Schweinepest des Internets

der (male), die (female), das (neutral) = the

The German word "die" (pronounced dee) has nothing to do with death.

So "Outlook, the swine-pest of the internet" was correct.

There are other traps when translating German to English and vice versa,
e.g.:

become = werden
get = bekommen

(A German in an English restaurant asks a waiter: "When shall I become
my beefsteak?" The waiter says: "I hope never, Sir!")

puff = schnauben, aufgebläht (and some other meanings)
brothel = Puff ("Puff Daddy" - oops?)

But reading German texts may be sometimes quite confusing, because
some kind of Denglish is used. A lot of computer and technology terms
are simply adopted and used as they were German words (to download -
"downloaden").

Regards,

Kerstin

--